How important do you think it is that your kids develop the ability to not only learn through the toys, but are able to learn a multitude of different skills in the process? It’s very important, because these days small kids probably engage more with their toys than anything else. You have to be able to get more value out of this besides them just being distracted enough to not stress you out or them just
No, you want your kids to be educated by the toys they play with. You want them to develop different skills that will have them ready when it comes time for school and other academic challenges they’ll face. Most importantly, you don’t want them to be in a position where they can’t compete or are less prepared than kids who did have access to educational toys. With that being said, making an investment in some will be a good one for sure.
The best educational kid’s toys on the market teach and entertain, which of course is good for you. We’ve done some research into what the best options are. Take a look below:
The Tiles Clear Colors 100 Piece Set is made to make science and math fun for curious young minds. It enables kids to create 3 dimensional and flat surface structures and patterns.
- It doesn’t take too much to use so kids won’t grow irritated by it
- The demonstration for it is pretty well done
- It does more than just promote learning, it’s also entertaining and engaging
- This 100 piece set can be a bit on the expensive side
The Snap Circuits Jr. SC-100 Electronics Discovery Kit provides everything needed for a young child to gain a lot of knowledge about how different electronics work while having fun doing so. Projects are do it yourself and serve as a great introduction.
- Even though the kit is recommended for kids, older people might also find some value in using it
- The range of projects offered isn’t limited
- Materials the kit are made from are built to be tough
- There aren’t any step by step instructions, which can be frustrating
The Scientific Explorer Mind Blowing Science Kit is made for young kids to learn all about the basics of science in an easy to follow and fun way. Everything from chemical reactions to the application of different science tools are explored.
- Actually serves as a good tool to get kids excited about learning science
- Kit works well to inspire creativity in children
- It’s do it yourself, which means there isn’t much required to work with it easily
- Some of the projects are going to require a parent to be involved
- Experiments can get messy sometimes
The Wonder Workshop Dash Robot is an actual robot that will operate under voice commands and the different 5 downloadable apps (which are free of cost) in order to draw, sing, move and more. It about more than just getting acclimated to coding.
- There are different tiers of programming options
- The programming games in the app are not only fun, but truly interactive
- The robot is built pretty tough, meaning it won’t damage easily
- You might sometimes find that connectivity with different devices in your home can be difficult
- Battery life isn’t the best
The Osmo Genius Kit is the perfect means to use in order to help with creativity and the development of problem solving skills by means of hands on play. There are 5 different games included with the system and these work with different Osmo games not features within this kit.
- Kit isn’t overly simplistic, which means kids won’t get bored with it too fast
- Experiments are actually fun and actually create a desire for more
- The majority of the materials you’re going to need to perform the experiments come with the
- If you have an older child, then the kit might prove to be a little too simplistic for them
- There isn’t always enough information to go with the science experiments so that parents can
relay it back to their kids
The VTech Musical Rhymes Book is perfect for parents who want their kids to learn using rhythm and rhyme. It makes use of 7 different nursery rhymes that are well known in order to do this. There are three interactive character tabs that light up as well as a musical note button.
- The book is very colorful and very bright, which will serve well to capture the attention of a child
- Nursery rhymes are easily recognizable and will help with engagement
- The book helps to foster different ability and skills that will be very useful
- Sometimes the sounds can be a bit choppy
Best for Kids 2+: VTech Touch and Learn Activity Desk Deluxe
The VTech Touch and Learn Activity Desk Deluxe is a form of 3 in 1 desk that has interactive activity cards and can be expanded in order to increase fun and increase learning.
- Over 200 touch and learn spots to be tested out as well as 4 different learning modes featured
with each one
- Kids can easily convert the activity desk into a chalkboard
- There’s a light up display that makes it easy for kids to write and easily recognize different
numbers and letters
- Sometimes the desk can be a bit sensitive to touch and sudden impact
- The activity mats included tend to slide because they are unable to lock in place
The Insect Lore Original Butterfly Garden with Voucher is a form of habitat that can be reused and is collapsible. There’s a fine and easy to see through mesh that enable kids to witness butterfly metamorphosis closely. Included is a feeder that’s easy to use as well as complete how to information for habitat.
- There are 5 living caterpillars that come with it and there’s a promise that 3 of these at least will mature to become butterflies
- Complete instructions are included on how to care for the insects and butterflies
- You get a butterfly feeder as well as an eye dropper in order to offer a sweet food for the insects
- The guarantee of at least 3 caterpillars becoming butterflies isn’t applicable where the weather is 40 degree or higher than 85 degrees.
Best First Tech: LeapFrog My Own Leaptop
The LeapFrog My Own Leaptop offers learning as well as countless hours of interactive engagement and fun for small children.
- The platform used for learning is truly effective
- There’s a lot of interaction, which creates a true entertainment value
- Various forms of learning activities are offered
- At times the screen can seem a bit tiny
Understand that while all of these educational toys are fun and offer different forms of learning for your kids, the ultimate goal is for them to be encouraged to want to continue. The different options reviewed above are a great starting point in order to develop all sorts of skills and interests. However, you want to keep focused on the particular skills and interests your child shows a desire to want to expand upon. This will enable you to focus on particular types of educational items and adjust as your child gets older.